Sunday, August 7, 2011

RAMBLING: 14374 Seconds

By Blood of Your Lips
Find her on Twitter @BloodOfYourLips 

Did you know that there are 86400 seconds in a day?

Well, there are. There are 86400 seconds in a day. And while I know that makes me sound like a geek, particularly when I tell you that I stayed awake in bed last night to do the math, there is method to my mathness. (10 points to Slytherin - or the House of your choice - if you understood that joke and can tell me where it came from .)

So let’s begin with the math… Don’t worry. You don’t have to do any math during this blog. I’ve done it all for you.

If there are 86400 seconds in a whole 24 hours and you minus 28800 seconds (8 hours) for sleep, that leaves you with 57600 seconds of awake time. But, alas, there is such a thing as work, so then you have to calculate the seconds that you work… So let’s figure in those numbers.

The average person works 28800 seconds (8 hours) a day, which would leave the average person 28800 seconds of free time. Of course, you could be a nurse working in a hospital or something; in which case, you would be working 43200 seconds (12 hours) a day.

But even with 28800 seconds of sleep and 43200 seconds of work, that still leaves you with 14400 seconds of free time.

Here’s another interesting fact: From my cellphone, which is much harder to use than my computer, it took me 52 seconds to compose and send a short email; and I figured it would be half for the computer, but I took out a stopwatch and checked anyway.

It was 24 seconds. 24 seconds to compose a short email of 82 characters that simply said “Hey. I’m sorry. I’m very busy today. Talk to you later. Thinking of you. Miss you.”

24 seconds. It took 24 seconds to express in 82 characters a whole message. In 24 seconds and 82 characters, you just said “Hey. I am sorry, but I’m very busy with work today. I will talk to you as soon as I can, because I’ve been thinking about you and I miss you.”

Wow… Astounding, huh?

How does this all tie together?, you ask. Well, let me tell you.

We all spend so much time thinking about time in hours, days, maybe even weeks or months. But the truth of the matter is that if you broke it down to its most basic components, you would find that you have a lot more free time than you think.

After all, 24 seconds out of 14400 is not that much. It still leaves you with 14374 seconds of the 14400 seconds of free time you have (and that’s if you work 43200 seconds a day, instead of 28800 seconds a day!).

So if you think that you are too busy to send your partner/spouse/child/parent a short email or text telling them that you miss them and you love them, because you schedule is oh-so-damned busy, than you really might want to rethink your priorities and your time.

When you think about your time in hours, of course you are never going to have enough time, because the numbers are much smaller: 24 compared to 86400? That’s a huge difference… And I can guarantee you that you have more 86400 to spare than only 24.

So really look at how you are spending your time, look at who (loved ones) andwhat (quality time with said loved ones) you are “too busy” for, and remember…

Every seconds counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment